South America is another awesome continent that most people dream of travelling properly at least once in their lifetime!
And in this article I bring you the ultimate South America travel bucket list!
South America really is the perfect place to travel, no matter what kind of traveller you consider yourself.
You get to experience many cultures. There’s something for everyone, from the mountains to the oceans, and everything in between. And most of the countries are really affordable!
If you are considering a trip somewhere around the world but are feeling a bit confused, then you have to seriously consider South America!
The Ultimate 100+ South America Travel Bucket List
You might also be interested in:
- 100+ Southeast Asia Bucket List
- 100+ Europe Bucket List
- 8 Things You Need To Do In Spain That You’ll Never Forget
- 10 Budget Travel Items You Need To Tick In Paris
In this post I have put together the ultimate South America travel bucket list that you will love!
If you are ever able to even tick off half of these items, then you are a lucky person!
Hopefully this inspires you to change your ways and get travelling sooner rather than later.
So here are 100+ insane bucket list items for your South America travel bucket list that you need to experience at some point!
- Visit The Perito Moreno Glacier in Los Glaciares National Park and prepare to be mesmerized!
- Experience one of the seven wonders of the world at the Iguazu Falls.
- Are you a keen hiker? Then you MUST hike up Monte Fitz Roy!
- Visit the picturesque city of Córdoba, and enjoy the vibrant culture.
- Check out the unearthly rock formations and dinosaur remains at Moon Valley.
- Visit some of Argentina’s best wineries in Mendoza.
- Make sure to visit the UNESCO World Heritage Site of The Talampaya National Park.
- Board the train to the end of the world!
- Take part in one of the world’s biggest grilled meals!
- Warm yourself up with a glass of Canelazo.
- They say Argentina is home to the world’s best steaks. Go and try one at any local steakhouse!
- Meet a few Gauchos and ride horses in El Calafate.
- Meet with some of the Indigenous Guarani Communities in Puerto Iguazu.
- Party all night in Buenos Aires! Most clubs keep pumping until 7am, so be sure to rest up well beforehand.
- Chill out on the Beach in Mar Del Plata.
- If you are brave enough, then bike across North Yungas Road. It’s considered one of the worlds most dangerous routes, so be aware!
- Meet a few local flamingoes at Laguna Colorada.
- Go on an Amazonian tour!
- Visit the highest administrative capital in the world, La Paz.
- Walk across Isla del Sol.
- Experience the amazing Carnaval de Oruro.
- Check out this awesome train cemetery from trains that were in use in the 1940s.
- Explore the world’s largest high altitude lake and largest lake in South America, Lake Titicaca.
- Go up the highest cable car system in the world, Mi Teleferico.
- Marvel at the impressive Cathedral of Brasilia.
- Check out one of the most famous statues on the planet, Christ the Redeemer.
- Visit the world famous Copacabana Beach. If you are visiting over New Year’s Eve, be sure to join the party on this beach!
- See the world’s largest cashew tree!
- Take a ride in Elevator Lacerda, one the world’s highest elevators.
- Experience the amazingly beautiful Blue Lake Grotto.
- Take a jog through Parque Ibirapuera.
- Take a stroll through one of Brazil’s most beautiful public parks in Rio de Janeiro, Parque Lage.
- Step inside a lunar fantasy at Vale da Lua.
- Spend a relaxing afternoon at The Rio de Janeiro Botanical Garden.
- Experience one of the world’s most visually satisfying libraries, The Royal Portuguese Cabinet of Reading.
- Go and see the world’s largest street art mural!
- Experience Santiago’s rich culture scene.
- Explore the beautiful Torres del Paine in Patagonia.
- Play with a few penguins at Isla Magdalena.
- Witness the stunning aqua and turquoise colours at The Marble Caves.
- Spend a day at Chiloé Island and visit a few UNESCO churches.
- Visit the charming German settlement of Puerto Varas.
- Feed your leftover food to a couple of sea lions in Valdivia.
- Make sure to try every single type of classic Chilean food!
- Enjoy amazing wine tours in Santiago.
- See San Pedro de Atacama, an arid high plateau in the Andes mountains which has amazing views!
- Eat some traditional bandeja paisa!
- Play Tejo, a traditional Colombian sport.
- Visit the famous city of Medellin and take a free walking tour!
- Marvel at the street art in Bogota.
- Hike through Tayrona National Park.
- Be a beach bum at one of the many amazing beaches Colombia has to offer.
- Colombia is one of the world’s largest producers of coffee, so make sure to enjoy a cup every single day!
- Trek in the Cocora Valley.
- Wander through the streets of Old Town Cartagena.
- Go on an extraordinary Pablo Escobar tour!
- Take a mud bath at Totumo Volcano.
- Trek to the Lost City!
- Tour the Galapagos Islands.
- Visit the equator, known as Mitad del Mundo in Ecuador!
- Swing at the end of the world.
- Visit the beautiful turquoise Laguna Quilotoa.
- Take a dip at The Cracks – Las Grietas.
- Mountain bike down the Cotopaxi Volcano.
- Explore the breathtaking Amazon jungle!
- Visit the abandoned Ecuadorian prison that once held ex-presidents and seems to have frozen in time!
- Enjoy all the awesome activities on offer in Banos.
- Make sure to go and check out Eco Reserva Mbatoví!
- Spend some time in the capital city, Asuncion.
- Horse ride with local gauchos at a traditional ranch.
- Visit “the pearl of the south”, Encarnacion, known as the prettiest city in all of Paraguay.
- Wanting to spend some time in the wilderness? Then head to Gran Chaco!
- Check out the Itaipu Dam, which was one of the seven engineering wonders of the world.
- Indulge in some famous, local bread known as Chipa.
- Explore the REAL Amazon, and make a few friends with the local Macaws!
- Greet a few Llamas at Machu Picchu.
- Try out some of Peru’s famous food. It’s not for the faint hearted, so beware! From guinea pigs, to crocodile heads, you need to try one of the crazy foods!
- Spend some time in the capital city, Lima.
- Hike the Inca Trail.
- Make sure to go and check out The Peru Desert.
- Go sandboarding on the amazing dunes Peru ha to offer!
- Whilst on the dunes, rent a dune buggy and go wild!
- Fancy yourself a wine expert? Head down south and go on the Pisco Wine Tour.
- Hike The Colca Canyon.
- Check out the UNESCO World Heritage Site, Colonia del Sacramento.
- Wander around the capital city of Uruguay, Montevideo.
- Fancy going nude for a day? Then hit up Uruguay’s nudist beach, Playa Chihuahua.
- Try out a classical Uruguayan steak sandwich!
- Order some Grappa at your first restaurant!
- Learn to dance the Tango in the capital city.
- Visit Cabo Polonio.
- Spend a day drinking wine in Carmelo.
- Party at Punta del Este!
If you would like more amazing travel ideas, then make sure to follow my Travel Destinations & Bucket Lists Pinterest board!